AKA: climate change, pollution
- The environment consists broadly of air/space, waters, land/plants, animals, and climate, however, the KPI that is most spoken about is human GHG emissions.
- The Covid limitation and lockdown rules that began on 19 March 2020 nationwide and the final lockdown that ended on 15 December 2021 in Auckland, including international travel, obviously had a significant impact on emissions for some of this timeframe. Context and judgments like this are subjective, so they are impossible to show in a graph. It is up to each reader to evaluate the proportion of responsibility they place on each government over the timeframe shown, versus factors outside of their control.
- Remember that each Labour-led or National-led government has had coalition partners that share the successes, and the failures, with them. A full list of governments for this time range is at the bottom of this page.
- Totals of million tonnes carbon dioxide equivalent (C02-e) in a year. See ‘Why this KPI?’ below for more details.
- Human gross GHG emissions
- Human net GHG emissions